The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) began demolition of buildings in Abuja on Thursday, causing fear and anger among residents.
Houses were demolished in the Trade More Estate, Lugbe, Abuja Municipal Area Council, according to Channels Television.
Building owners were spotted frantically fleeing their properties and transporting them in many vehicles to avoid losing all of their hard-earned money.
Residents have accused FCTA officials of putting them in a humiliating situation because the destruction occurred only 48 hours after federal authorities issued a notice.
Speaking to journalists, the Chairman of Trademore Estate Phase 2, Uchechukwu Moses, said residents of the area were angry because the FCT minister approved just 23 houses for demolition but they observed that over 96 buildings were actually marked to be pulled down.
“Our residents are gathered in concern and in fear. The moment Control were in our estate yesterday to mark houses that are supposed to be demolished, the concern is that from the papers, we learned that 23 houses were approved but from the count that we did yesterday, over 96 houses have been marked,” he said.
Other residents lamented that even buildings that have experienced floods previously were marked for demolition, wondering what their plight would be.
While wondering if the flooding situation would change in the nation’s capital as a result of the demolition, the affected residents said the FCTA authorities claimed they just wanted a free flow of the flood.