A fire outbreak Saturday burnt properties worth millions of naira at First Ladies College, Mariri, Nasarawa Local Government Area of Kano State.
The building, used as a warehouse by the Kano State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) and other parts of the school were burnt to ashes.
Narrating the incident, the Executive Secretary of SEMA, Dr. Saleh Aliyu Jili said emergency relief items, including 900 pieces of mattress and pillow, diapers, grinding machines, sewing machines, vulcanising machines, detergents and other items were completely burnt by the inferno.
He said the items were received from the federal government to assist the internally displaced persons.
The executive secretary said offices, classes, roofing and desks were also destroyed.
He said a team would visit the school to assess the level of damage for onward submission to the government for possible assistance.
“His Excellency is dedicated to educational improvement and there’s no doubt that he will take the necessary action so that the students of the school are not affected,” he said.
He attributed the cause of the fire to grass burning and charged the general public to be more vigilant.
He also urged them to desist from grass burning and other similar acts capable of inciting fire and similar disasters.
The Kano State Fire Service confirmed the incident through its Public Relations Officer, Saminu Abdullahi.